The Mission of the City Clerk’s office is to provide courteous and efficient public service; to preserve, protect, and manage the City’s vital records; to administer the City’s elections; to ensure proper publications of legal notices for all meetings of the City Council per the State’s Open Meetings Act; to ensure compliance of the NM Inspection of Public Records Act for public records requests; and to provide support to the Mayor, City Council, and staff.
The City Clerk’s office has the following responsibilities:
• coordinates all City Council meetings;
• administers all municipal elections per the NM Municipal Election Code, NMSA 1978, Chapter 3, Articles 8 and 9, and the Town’s Municipal Code, Section 2-21, et seq.;
• insures that proper procedures are followed for publication, recording, and transcription of City Council meetings per the NM Open Meetings Act, NMSA 1978, Chapter 10, Article 15;
• administers the publication of legal notices for all City Council meetings.
• processes public records requests per NM Inspection of Public Records Act, NMSA 1978, Chapter 14, Article 2;
• serves as the official custodian of City records and ensures proper records management based on the State Records Retention and Disposition Schedules;
• responsible for codification of the City’s Code of Ordinances;
• assists City officials in the development and introduction of City ordinances and resolutions;
• orderly processing of legislation;
• ensures proper processing of liquor license applications and applications for Special Dispenser Permits and Public Celebration Permits;
• provides support for the City Council, City Attorney, and other City staff as needed;